Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Short List is about to get a lot shorter

I've been listening to a lot of Joe Satriani lately (which reminds me - I must get more of his stuff) and I want to try to learn his songs again. I know it'll be difficult, but ultimately it'll make me a better player. Because of this, I came to a realization last night while I was running on the treadmill with "Surfing with the Alien" playing on my iPod - I need to get a Satch guitar.

Maybe not necessarily a Satch signature guitar, but a guitar that's capable of pulling off Satch's music. A guitar with a fast, thin neck, dual humbucking pickups, and a locking tremolo. I would like 24 frets, but since most of Joe's signature guitars have 22, I'd be OK with that.

So that means the Short List needs some pruning. All guitars that don't fit the Satch mold will be jettisoned. I'll also add a few that fit the new criteria that may have been overlooked. So without further ado, let the pruning begin:

Dropped off:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Cadillac Select
ESP LTD EC-50
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster (after less than a week, what a shame)
Ibanez ART100
Sterling JP50
Sterling SILO20
Chapman Guitars ML1 (Sorry Chappers!)
Chapman Guitars ML2 (And again!)
DWG Contender

The new list, with updates:

Agile AL-2000 with Floyd Rose ($279)
(NEW) Dean Vendetta 1 with Floyd Rose ($299)
Dean Vendetta 1000 ($299)
(NEW) Epiphone EM-2 Prophesy FX ($399)
Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall ($499)
(NEW) ESP LTD MH-50 ($289)
(NEW) ESP LTD M-100FM ($319)
Ibanez GRGA32T ($299)
Ibanez RG350DX/EX ($399)
(NEW) Ibanez RG4EXQM1 ($449)
Ibanez RG5EX1 ($399)
Ibanez S420 ($499)
(NEW) Jackson JS23R ($329)
(NEW) Laguna LE400Q ($399)
(NEW) Peavey Predator Plus EXP ($239)
Schecter Damien FR ($449)

I'll try to play some of these as soon as I can. I'll also keep on the lookout for good used deals, especially on older Japanese Ibanez Roadstars or a Satch signature JS100. It's nice to finally have a goal in mind for the Short List. I felt that I was all over the place for a while, but now I can concentrate on one style of guitar.

Let the testing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment