Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cautious optimism: Why IbanezRules.com rules

I think I fixed my Ibanez.

I couldn't have done it without IbanezRules.com. Seriously, anyone who has a guitar with any kind of Floyd Rose-style tremolo, not just an Ibanez, needs to visit this site. Despite the 90s-chic design, it's simply the best set of setup instructions I've ever read, especially the "Stretching Strings" section and the "Lockdown and Fine Tuning" section. This site is proof that substance trumps style any day.

Before following the setup instructions, though, I had to take the whole thing apart, strings and all. I found where the set screw fell out - it was the bottom set screw for the trem arm, and really, I have no idea why it's even there. You can't get to it without taking the tremolo out, at least any way I can see. While it was apart, I figured I try something else I found on the 'Net - Chap Stick on the posts. Supposedly it helps the knife edges stay where they belong.

I don't know whether it was the Chap Stick, the excellent instructions or a combination of both, but when I was done, it was stable. I've been playing all morning (pretty much) and I only had to fine tune the G and B strings once. I'm not abusing the tremolo, but I'm not really a big trem user in the first place. I'm just playing it normally, something that was impossible to do yesterday.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that the issue is finally fixed. Which is good, because I absolutely love playing my RG. I've never played a guitar as comfortable or as easy to play. It makes me want to buy a bunch of them just to have spares. I did notice, though, that the knife edges on the Edge III were starting to wear a little bit, which is a concern since it's only a week old, so I don't expect it to last for years and years. At the very least, I think it can last a little while, and when it wears out, I'll replace it with an Original Floyd Rose, which, from what I've read, is a drop-in replacement.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Good blog! I'd like to see some photos of knife edges w/ chap stick on 'em! I didn't even know guitars HAD knife edges!

    Righteous Chublerator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to get a picture close enough to see the Chap Stick. :)

    ReplyDelete