Tuesday, November 9, 2010

More (possibly final) Short List pruning

As all one of my readers knows, I recently pruned the Short List down to just guitars that fit the Satch mold - basically, a heavy metal guitar. Dual humbuckers, locking tremolo, 22 or 24 frets. I then added guitars that also fit the mold that I may have overlooked.

Well, certain circumstances have changed that may allow me to fulfill the Short List's goal much earlier than anticipated. I want to be careful with this purchase, as I expect it to be the last guitar purchase I make in a long time, most likely the last guitar purchase I make, ever. I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I bought my Telecaster (that mistake may be "corrected" some day). Because of that, and because of the shortened time frame, I'm going to further prune the list to include only those guitars I can actually play. So if it's not in stock at either Guitar Center or Spotlight Music, it's off the list.

Here is the newly pruned list, ready for me to take with me when I'm guitar shopping. I'm adding a "GC" or "SM" to indicate where each guitar is in stock.

The (Really) Short List:

Dean Vendetta 1000 ($299, GC)
Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall ($499, GC)
Ibanez GRGA32T ($299 GC, SM)
Ibanez RG370DX ($399, SM)
Ibanez RG350DX/MYE ($399, SM)
Ibanez RG4EXQM1 ($449, GC)
Ibanez RG5EX1 ($399, GC)
Schecter Damien FR ($449, GC)

As you can see, the list is quite short. There are a few Ibanez RG variants, so that choice will most likely come down to looks as they all probably play and sound the same. I'm a little wary of the Gio RG and the Dean, because they're both a bit cheap, and I want this next guitar to last.

Now I get to do some real guitar shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment