Saturday, November 20, 2010

Short List - the final battle

Today is the Epic Final Battle. Ibanez RG4EXQM1 vs. Sterling JP50 (if it's still there), with a third-party candidate in the GRGA32T.

It will be a monumental fight to the death!

To make things even more win-tastic, I got a Guitar Center flyer in the mail yesterday that showed the JP50 with an even bigger price cut to $349 (it was already marked down to $449 last weekend) and a mail-in rebate for a free gig bag with the RG4, which doesn't come with a case (the JP50 does).

I'm hoping they'll let me try out the tremolo on the JP50, because that's my only source of trepidation. I've used non-locking tremolos before with disastrous results, but everything I've read about the JP50 says the tuning stability is excellent. I want to see for myself, though, before I buy one. The two Ibanezes (Ibani?) already have double-locking tremolos, so they automatically have an advantage over the JP. Still, I'm anxious to try the JP because of its ergonomics. Maybe the asymmetric neck profile will work better with my DeQuervain's which, if that's the case, will put the JP in the win column.

Exciting stuff! Full report to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment