Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Almost ready to start recording again

It's been a long time since I made my last recording post, but I should soon be experimenting with recording again and posting my results. I had a few recording platform plan possibilities (say that ten times fast) and I finally have a setup I'm creating as we speak.

At first, I was going to get a MacBook and use Garage Band. I have a MacBook Pro, but my wife uses it for school and there will be times I can't use it. I then saw a product from a company called Indamixx, an MSI netbook loaded up with Linux-based recording software. I was going to get one of those, but I noticed that they're going with more of a touchscreen-based system for future versions, which I don't really want.

Also, I finally got my Dad's old computer and saw just how good it was. When my Dad passed away in July and I originally asked if I could have it (being the computer geek of the family, it just made sense) my sisters said that it wasn't a good computer. Of course I still wanted it, but after getting it, I realized how good it was. My Dad didn't buy a lot of stuff - he was a hard-working, blue-collar guy - but when he did finally get something, he didn't skimp. He got the best he could find within reason. Instead of buying a garden-variety Dell or HP, he went to a local computer shop and got one custom built. It may not be a 64-bit powerhouse, but it has good specs and is plenty powerful enough to be used as a recording PC.

It came with Windows XP Professional, but over the weekend I installed Ubuntu 10.10 with dual-boot capabilities. I'm going to install some of the Ubuntu Studio packages (but not the desktop - I like the new Ubuntu interface) and once again try my hand at Open Source recording. I was impressed with Ubuntu Studio when I had it on the Crappy Lappy. I can't wait to try the same tools on a more robust system.

I always have the Mac to use, too, plus I can get Windows-based software if the Open Source tools don't pan out. So be ready for a lot of home recording posts in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment