Thursday, November 11, 2010

One last pruning...

The Dean has to go. I've read too many bad things about their low-end guitars to take the chance. Maybe if I'm bored and it's still in stock at Guitar Center I'll give it a whirl, but otherwise it's no longer a Short List candidate.

I'm keeping the Gio RG on the list because I'm curious to see how good it is, plus it has a different neck profile than the standard RGs so it may make a difference. For those of you who don't know what I mean when I say "Gio RG," Ibanez has an entry-level range they call their Gio range. (To put it in SAT terms, Gio : Ibanez :: Squier : Fender.) The tip-off is that the model numbers start with G - in this case, GRGA32T - and the Ibanez headstock logo has a smaller "Gio" logo along with it. To dive even deeper into Ibanez nomenclature, RG is the series (they have others, like the S series and the ART series), A means it's a carved top, and T means it has a tremolo.

I get the "T = tremolo" thing, but where the hell did they get "A = carved?"

Moving on...

The Short List is now complete. I think there's a good chance I'll end up with an Ibanez. You think so?

Epiphone Les Paul Nightfall ($499, GC)
Ibanez GRGA32T ($299 GC, SM)
Ibanez RG370DX ($399, SM)
Ibanez RG350DX/MYE ($399, SM)
Ibanez RG4EXQM1 ($449, GC)
Ibanez RG5EX1 ($399, GC)
Schecter Damien FR ($449, GC)

No comments:

Post a Comment