Thursday, February 4, 2010

Watch your AC adapters

This will be a short one today, but an important one.

After my recent success selling my Telecaster, I started looking for other unused pieces of musical equipment I had lying around my house that I could potentially sell. One of those pieces of equipment was a Dunlop Wah/Volume pedal sitting in a drawer, where it's been since I sold my Fender amp and picked up a Line 6. The reason I wasn't using it anymore is because it never sounded right with my Line 6. Every time I plugged it in it caused cacophonous buzzing, which I attributed to the amp, as it always worked just fine with my Fender. Since I had no plans to buy another amp, I thought it was a good time to sell the pedal.

Some time ago, I lost the AC adapter for the Dunlop pedal. I found another one from an old wireless telephone that fit the hole and, I assumed, provided the right voltage. A few weeks ago, while rummaging through an old box looking for my metronome, I found the adapter, but never bothered to use it. The pedal didn't work with my Line 6, that's what I thought.

Last night I cleaned up the pedal for sale and plugged it in just to make sure it still worked. I was fully expecting to hear vats of noise spewing forth from the speaker.

I heard nothing.

Then I started playing and tried the volume control. Worked beautifully. Then I activated the wah control. Again, more beautiful tones and not a hint of buzzing.

I was thrilled. I could use my pedal again. I don't have to sell it.

Moral of this story: watch your adapters. Make sure they're the right voltage. If you lose one, order a new one from the manufacturer instead of doing it half-assed like I did. Learn from my mistakes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some serious wah-wah to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment