Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's like a real Web site now!

I made some updates to my blog recently that almost make it look like a real Web site. I think one of the updates is new to Blogger, because I swear I've never seen it before.

As I'm writing this post, I notice an "Edit Pages" option at the top of the page that I swear wasn't there before. In fact, I didn't even notice it when I started researching the changes I wanted to make. I wanted to see about adding a contact page and the "Pages" option in Blogger came up when I Googled it. It's a great feature that was lacking when I started this blog, and I promptly took advantage of it by moving my "Welcome" post to the "About" page.

I also wanted a contact page with a contact form, so I added one of those, but I had to find a good service. Enter Kontactr.com. After a very quick and easy registration (they say 15 seconds, I agree) I had the code I needed for a contact form and I put it into my contact page. Try it out, it's cool. Even comes with a captcha image. Nice. Anyone who has a Blogger blog and wants a contact form should use this service. I just hope it doesn't go away any time soon or - *gasp* - they start charging for it.

With my two static pages created, I resurrected the menu that was included in this template that I use. Being a third-party template (actually it's a converted WordPress template) it didn't have built-in support for the horizontal Pages widget, but it did have a horizontal menu already that I had commented out because I had no static pages. I added in my links, uncommented out the code, and now I have a menu with real functionality!

Sorry this post is so blog-centric, but I'm actually excited about these changes. It makes it one step closer to being a real Web site, or at least not a typical Blogger blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment