Wednesday, February 3, 2010

One era ends, another begins

This past Sunday I found the Holy Grail of guitars when I went to my guitar lesson, a Fender American Series Telecaster HH. And it was for sale. I knew I had to have it, but there was just one problem - I already have too many guitars and I couldn't justify another one. Something had to give.

In this case, it was my red Tele.

I have four electric guitars and one acoustic. Last time I checked, I only have one set of hands, so there's no way I can play them all. Inevitably, one or more of them are going to spend their fair share of time sitting in their cases, unplayed. I also think I've reached critical mass with five guitars - I don't see any reason to have any more, and more reasons to have less. I had to make room for the potential new arrival by selling one.

In the end, it came down to the one with the least amount of sentimental value.

I couldn't sell my Strat for a number of reasons. First off, it's my current favorite guitar and I play it the most. I also just got it last year and any sale would be a money loser. Most importantly, though, it was a birthday present from my wife, who talked me into getting a real Fender instead of the cheapo Squier I planned on buying when I walked into Guitar Center that day. I'm nothing if not cheap. It's hard for me to justify spending money. Since I was trading in my old Charvel, my goal was to walk out of there with little or no money changing hands. My plan was to play as many Squier Strats as I could and buy the nicest one (QC on Squiers is spotty - there are good ones and horrendous ones). My wife suggested the Fender and we bought it, which I will forever thank her for.

I also couldn't sell my Les Paul for similar reasons. I saw the guitar in a music store in my hometown - the same one I took lessons in when I was younger - and when I brought her in to see it she was supportive of me buying it, even though it was very expensive (for me anyway) and we weren't exactly rich.

My Hondo only has sentimental value. No one in their right mind would pay anything for it. It means something to me because it was my first guitar, but everyone else would see a 25-year-old Strat copy with numerous dents, dings, scratches, and holes. Yes, holes. It's a guitar only I could love.

That left the Tele. It's just a standard issue Telecaster in red, nothing fancy. It has no sentimental value, either - I bought it pretty much on my own at the same time I bought my old Fender amp, which I also sold.There's something about Telecasters that I've always loved - the shape, the simplicity, the history. Standard Teles, though, really aren't good guitars for me because of their sound. They're almost synonymous with country music and are known for their twangy, trebly sound. I, on the other hand, like a heavier sound and I really wanted a guitar with dual humbuckers. That's why the Telecaster HH I want to buy would fit me so well - it's a Tele, but with balls. Plus, it has the Fender S-Switch that turns the humbuckers into single coils, so if I want the classic Tele sound I could get it. Best of both worlds.

So my old red Tele went to a new home. The guy who bought it is in a country band, which makes the new situation a perfect fit. A country guy buys a country guitar so the rock guy could buy a rock guitar.

I can't wait to bring the rock guitar home.

1 comment: