Thursday, February 18, 2010

UPDATE: The Strat humbucking conundrum

Thanks to all the suggestions from my loyal readers, I'm ready to make my decision regarding the... Wait a minute. No one suggested anything. Thanks for nothing!

But hey, what should I expect, seeing as how I only get like five page views a day. That's OK, it's a labor of love.

(Silent stewing.)

OK, I'm over it now. I finally have an answer to the conundrum I described in this post. After careful consideration, I've decided to...

*Insert drum roll here.*

...keep the Strat stock and rewire the middle tone control to the bridge. What a wuss, huh? Take the safe route. Actually, that's not entirely true. Granted, I want to keep my Strat as genuine as possible (and keep the far-eastern parts off of it) and it's the easiest and least intrusive modification I could make, but I also just like the way it sounds. For stock ceramic single coils, they sound great. All the bridge pickup needs is a little tone roll-off to remove some of the brightness.

I feel that I have a perfect complement of guitars. Each one has its own sound and fills a specific role in my arsenal. The new Tele has those two powerful 'buckers and that S-switch to add some single-coil tones. The Hondo has the bridge humbucker and the tremolo which is perfect for screaming leads. The LP Special has two P100s that are somewhere between a humbucker and a single and have a sound all their own. The Strat, well, it sounds like a Strat, which is enough. Why change it? The bridge tone control will eliminate the only problem with its sound, making it the perfect Strat.

And you can't argue with perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment