Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It wasn't the amp

In this post I speculated on the potential suckage of my Line 6 amp. As much as I liked it as a practice amp, I was disappointed at its performance as a recording amp. When I plugged it into the Crappy Lappy it spewed forth copious amounts of static that was captured on recordings, making it useless for my recording project.

Or so I thought.


At the time I didn't have a chance to plug it into the Mac to see if it made the same static. This weekend, however, I had 15 minutes of Mac time (my wife usually is on it for school work) and I took the opportunity to run the experiment. Suffice it to say, when I plugged in the amp, opened up Garage Band and turned on the monitor on the guitar track, the only sound that came out of the amp was the amp. No static. Plus it really sounded good. All four amp models came through clearly. I was happy to say the least.

Even better, I was able to record a nice chord progression easily. No fiddling with the metronome to make it work - I just started recording and it was there, nice and loud. Plus the interface was so intuitive. It just got out of the way so I could concentrate on what I was recording. Nice. In the fight for control of my recording studio, the Mac just delivered what could best be described as a knockout punch, Tyson-style.

Does this mean I'm giving up on Ubuntu Studio? On the contrary. I still have to buy a Mac for my studio, and that's not going to happen for a while. Until then, I'm left with two options - continue to learn and record on what I have, or do nothing until I get the Mac. I'm picking option one. At least I can learn some of the basics that can be transferred once I upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment