Tuesday, October 5, 2010

More short list changes

Another short one today, this time another addition to the short list. The catalyst for this change was a series of two videos I watched on YouTube from Rob Chappers in which he compares a handful of affordable guitars, giving some brief tone examples and general comments. He also gave an overall winner, which has found its way onto the short list.

Spoiler alert: If you want to watch the videos first and learn which one was the winner the right way, click on the link above, watch the videos, and come back. I'll wait.

Good videos, huh? I like his comments on the Ibanez and I think I'll be revisiting the RG series again before this is all said and done. Anyway, the winner of the video competition was the ESP LTD EC-50. I had the EC-100 (basically an EC-50 with a nicer top) on the list before, but I took it off as I thought it wouldn't match up to the Ibanez ART100. After watching the videos and hearing how it sounded, I decided to put it on the list. That, and the fact that the EC-50 has 24 frets while the ART100 only has 22.

On a related note, lately I've been playing my Les Paul Special a lot. I'm starting to really like the shorter 24.75" scale and I may want to get another guitar like that, which makes this latest addition to the short list all the more important. It's also a bargain at $249.

So here's an updated short list:

Guitars I've played:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio ($349)
Schecter Omen 6 ($299)

Guitars I haven't played:

Dean Cadillac Select ($479)
Sterling SILO20 ($399)
Sterling JP50 ($499)
Ibanez ART100 ($299)
Dean Vendetta 1000 ($275)
Ibanez GRGA32T ($299)
Ibanez RG5EX1 ($400)
Ibanez RG350DX ($400)
Schecter Damien FR ($450)
(NEW) ESP LTD EC-50 ($249)

Guitars I can't play:

Chapman Guitars ML2 ($525)
Chapman Guitars ML1 ($490)
Agile AL-2000 with Floyd Rose ($279)

No comments:

Post a Comment