Saturday, September 25, 2010

Add one to the short list

Just a quick post today. I wanted to add another guitar to the ever-lengthening short list - an Ibanez JS100 Joe Satriani model (the cheaper one). Yeah, I know they cost $800 new, but the local Music Go Round (OK, the closest one, which is an hour and a half drive away) has two of them for $399.

I love them because not only are they Satch's own guitars, but they're like a new classic guitar. Imagine being able to go to a car dealer now and pick up a brand-new 1984 Corvette and you get the idea (had to stick with an 80s reference on that one). It's basically an old Ibanez Radius with different pickups, so it has an old body style and an old neck profile, and because of that it looks anachronistically cool.

Of course, these being used guitars opens up another colossal can of worms - do I pay $400 for a new Indonesian or Chinese guitar, or do I pay $400 for a used Japanese guitar? For the record, the JS100 is made in Indonesia, but look how much it costs new. I'm already enjoying the fruits of used guitar buying, having bought my Telecaster for almost half of what it cost new.

Too many choices. I know what'll probably happen - I'll have too many choices and end up getting nothing. I don't think I'd mind that outcome too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment