Friday, March 26, 2010

Prog backlash?

Before I discovered the 90s neo-prog movement, I discovered another band that are legendary in their Canadian homeland but only have a small cult following in the states - The Tragically Hip.

In my opinion, the Hip really didn't hit their stride until their third album, Fully Completely. In fact, it's so good that it makes a strong case for the title of Best Album You've Never Heard Of. Before that, they were a twangy, roadhouse-style bar band, and although they had some good songs on their first two albums, they don't compare to Fully Completely, or to what they put out afterward.

I only bring this up because lately I've had a peculiar urge to listen to their second album, Road Apples. It's strange because not only is it not my favorite Hip album, it's not even in the top 5. It's not that it's a bad album per se, but it's still from their twang era, even though the writing is much stronger than their first album, Up To Here. Being an analytical guy, I'm intrigued by this puzzle and want to figure out why this sudden urge appeared. The only thing I can think of it that it's some kind of backlash from all the prog I've been listening to lately.

I love progressive rock. It's complex music featuring long-form suites, heady lyrics and dazzling instrumental performances. It's also a lot to take in. Sure there are some shorter, simpler songs - "June" from Spock's Beard comes to mind - but for the most part, listening to prog is as much a mental exercise as it is an enjoyable experience. It's this complexity, though, that I think lead to this sudden urge for cleaner, simpler music.

Not that the Hip are simple. They're definitely a more traditional rock band, but they're also known for singer Gord Downie's rather cryptic lyrics, one reason why I really like them. They also continually evolve their sound with each album, experimenting with new sonic palettes in the context of traditional rock, another reason why I like them. Perhaps that's why I'm drawn to Road Apples now - it represents their early sound, before it evolved past country-tinged, smoky-bar rock. I think my brain is, in its own way, asking for a break from all the complex prog so it can just relax and enjoy the music.

Time to fire up Media Player and cue up Road Apples. Who am I to ignore a request from my brain?

No comments:

Post a Comment