Friday, August 13, 2010

I have a new guitar god

Praise be to John Petrucci! Honor his name and keep it holy!

OK, so I took that analogy a bit too far. But it shows how much I'm completely blown away by this guy's playing. This isn't new news for anyone who already knew of him (like 99% of the guitar playing population), but I'm a little late to the game. I was familiar with his band, Dream Theater, through their drummer Mike Portnoy who is part of the Transatlantic supergroup, and I remember hearing "Pull Me Under" on MTV - you know, back when they used to actually play videos - but I never had a chance to really get into their music. I acquired some of their stuff when I first discovered modern progressive rock but I was more interested in Spock's Beard, the Flower Kings and the aforementioned Transatlantic. I knew I'd get to them eventually, and eventually turned out to be this week.

Dream Theater are a lot heavier than Spock's Beard or the Flower Kings - most consider them progressive metal rather than progressive rock - and they definitely earn that moniker. Petrucci, Portnoy and bassist John Myung are all Berklee-trained musicians, and although they've been through a few keyboard players, they're all pretty good. Singer James LaBrie has a great falsetto, up there with Geoff Tate and Bruce Dickinson in his prime. Speaking of Dickinson, my wife and I had tickets to see Iron Maiden and Dream Theater, but my father's failing health meant we had to miss the show, and although it was probably an excellent concert, I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my Dad for anything.

But back to Petrucci. He's a monster. When I first heard him play I came to two realizations: one, hearing him play makes me want to go home, grab my guitar and lock myself in a room for about three years to try to get as good; and two, even if I did that, I'd never be as good as he is. He's on another planet. His solos are compositions in and of themselves, blistering yet musical, tasteful yet full of shred. I could listen to him play all day long and not tire of it.

I did learn that I use the same picks he does - black Dunlop Jazz III's. But that, our first names, and our mutual respect for Alex Lifeson are pretty much all we have in common. I'll never be as good as he is, and although that might be disheartening for some, it's OK with me. Everyone has their own voice, and mine will not be the same as his.

That doesn't mean I can't worship the guy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment