Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Clarifying the short list

In a recent post, I mentioned that I played an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and that it made it on my short list. This comment completely freaked out my wife, who thought it meant that I want to buy a new guitar soon! My wife has been very supportive of my new guitar habit and has, within reason, agreed to my purchases, but there are some upcoming expenses in our life (not the least of which is expensive jaw surgery and orthodontics) that mean guitar and guitar-related funds are in short supply, plus there are other things I want to get first.

So in an effort to clarify the short list, I'd like to first say that I don't plan on purchasing another guitar for at least two years, most likely three. I have plenty of guitars to suit my needs right now and I want to concentrate on other things. I already got the RP90 and I should be getting a new MacBook for Christmas (which will be my recording platform), so all I need is a MIDI controller to round out phase one of my recording studio, and they're cheap enough to be a birthday present. After that, there will be a moratorium on any guitar-related purchases until my jaw surgery and orthodontics are done, which is in about two or three years.

That being said, over the course of these two or three years, I want to play as many guitars as I can when I get the chance so I can whittle down all the guitars I like to a short list of 10 or fewer guitars from which I'll make my decision on my next guitar purchase. I'm putting a cap of $400 on my purchase, because even though there are some amazing guitars out there for a lot of money, 400 bucks can buy a really nice guitar and I can't see spending more than that unless it's an amazing instrument. I'm torn between getting a Les Paul style guitar or getting a shredder guitar, so I'm hoping that by playing them I can make a decision.

Without further ado, here is the short list, broken down into guitars I've played, guitars I haven't played, and guitars I probably can't play:

Guitars I've played:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio ($349) - I've already played this one and I've already blogged about it, but it's a fine instrument, especially considering it's Chinese made. It's made well, it plays well, and it sounds good. If I end up wanting a Les Paul, this may be the winner.

Ibanez RGR421EXFM ($419) - This is the infamous purple Ibanez that I wrote about here. I know it's slightly above my $400 threshold, but when I was there, it was on sale for $389. I'm also not expecting it to still be there in two or three years (although I hope it is, because it's my first choice for a shredder guitar). If it is, great, but if it's not, I'm going to look at a similar guitar. Ibanez currently makes a model called the RG321MH which is very similar in construction and has the same pickups, but has a different (better) bridge, different colors and a non-reverse headstock. It might not be as pretty as the purple one but it probably plays and sounds identical. Plus it's only $299.

Guitars I haven't played:

Dean Cadillac Select ($479) - This is another over-the-limit guitar but it's so worth the price. I've loved these guitars for a while. It's kind of like a Les Paul on steroids, or the bastard child of a Les Paul and an Explorer. It's a unique guitar that would fill the Les Paul need but not be just another Les Paul. I can't wait to play one.

Schecter C-1 ($399) - I like this guitar because it's a Superstrat-Les Paul hybrid. It looks like a Strat but has a 24 3/4" scale like a Les Paul. I haven't played one yet but I saw one at Guitar Center and it looked very nice. Another one I can't wait to play.

Sterling by Music Man SILO20 ($399) - Music Man guitars are a unique breed. I like them because they're different. They're also quite expensive. Sterlings are Korean-made versions of pricier Music Man guitars and have a good reputation (Korean-made guitars are generally better than Chinese-made guitars; the Dean is also Korean). The SILO20 is meant to be an affordable Music Man Silhouette. It has 24 frets, an HSH configuration and a hardtail bridge. Should be a mean guitar.

Sterling by Music Man JP50 John Petrucci Signature ($499) - This blows my budget away but it's a freakin' John Petrucci signature! Only my new guitar god's own instrument. Well, not really - he plays a more expensive Music Man signature guitar - but this one's close and got pretty good reviews around the 'Net. Can't think of a better shredder. I need to play this guitar!

Jackson JS32RT Dinky ($319) - Another shredder. Since I sold my Charvel, I've looked at Charvel/Jackson (now owned by Fender) to see what they have and if any of them are worth it. With Charvel being a high-end boutique brand, it's up to Jackson to fill the entry-level hole. The JS32RT is the nicest one I've seen (some are just too low-end). I like the Tune-O-Matic bridge and string-through construction (which we'll see again) and I especially like the tobacco sunburst color with flame maple top.

Laguna LE200 ($249) - This is similar to the Jackson in specs - 24 fret superstrat with TOM bridge and string-through design. I heard good things about Laguna guitars. They're relatively new and concentrate on the lower end of the guitar market, but I heard they're well made and are a pretty good value. This guitar is well under my $400 limit, so I could probably get a nice case, too, and still not spend 400 clams.

ESP LTD H-51 and H-101 ($259 and $279) - I'm combining these because they're basically the same guitar except for finishes - the H-51 is a solid finish and the H-101 has a sunburst finish with flame maple top (hence the $20 premium). Under the hood they're the same, and they also have a TOM bridge and string-through design (you can tell I like that design).

ESP LTD EC-100 and Ibanez ART100 ($279 and $299) - I've combined these because they're very similar. They're each company's version of an affordable LP style singlecut. They have some differences, but their specs are remarkably similar. I'd have to play both to see which one is better. The Ibanez is already ahead because of its mahogany body and neck and set-in construction. The ESP has to really impress me to win out.

Guitars I probably can't play:

Chapman Guitars ML2 ($525) - Another budget blower, but not bad for a limited-edition run. Rob Chapman a/k/a Chappers, whose channel I follow on YouTube, started this guitar company and makes collaboratively designed guitars. Basically, he asks his followers and his forum members to help design his guitars by voting on many of the features. The ML2 is a Les Paul/PRS style guitar that combines a Les Paul singlecut body with a longer 25" scale like a PRS. It could qualify as a shredder and a Les Paul all in one. There are only two limitations: first, it's a limited run of 250, so if they're all gone in a few years, I've missed my chance. Second, I can't play one first (they ship from the UK) so if I find something I can try out first that I like, I'll probably get it instead.

Any Agile Les Paul copy ($225 and up) - These are the least expensive guitars I can get and I know I'd probably be happy with one. The Agile brand is exclusive to online dealer RondoMusic.com and are well-reviewed Korean-made guitars. They make a lot of Les Paul style guitars, so I could easily find one with the specs I want for a really good price. Unfortunately, they're mail-order-only so I can't play one first. However, if I decide I want a Les Paul style guitar and I can't find one locally to buy, I'd probably choose an Agile over an Epiphone because if I have to mail order one anyway, I may as well save some money and have more choices.

So there you have it. My short list. It may grow or shrink as I play more guitars and as more guitars are introduced or discontinued in the coming years.

EDIT: I totally forgot the Schecter Omen 6. It's similar in specs to the Laguna LE200, the Jackson and the ESP twins and it's $299. I'll probably end up playing all four and choosing the best one, since they're all so similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment