Friday, February 4, 2011

Decision made

In my last post regarding Les Pauls and how they don't fit me, I ended with a question as to what to do with the one I have, my Les Paul Junior Special. It's a fantastic instrument, but it's not one that I see myself playing much if at all in the future. I've had it for a while, though - over 12 years - so parting with it won't be as easy as it was when I traded my Telecaster for my new Ibanez.

But, after careful deliberation and discussion with my wife, I've decided that I'm going to do it. I'm going to bring it to Guitar Center and trade it for the guitar I really want, a hardtail Ibanez RG. Or at least I'm going to try. I see no reason why I shouldn't get as much as I got for my Tele, if not more. It's a genuine, made-in-USA Gibson, and a rare one at that. They were only made for a few years - based on my research, they were made between 1998 and 2002 - and very few of them were black. Most of the ones I've seen on the 'Net in pictures or for sale are either cherry or natural. But, if they don't give me enough for the guitar, I'll bring the Gibson back home with me, no harm, no foul. I think it'll work, though. If I get what I got for my Tele, I may even have enough for a case.

Another bonus, too, is that I don't have to shop for a guitar. I know exactly what I want, and according to their Web site, they have some in stock. I want a hardtail version of my Ibanez, and I found almost exactly that - the RG3EXFM1. There are only two minor dissimilarities - it's a flamed maple top, not quilted like mine, and it doesn't have the center single coil pickup. Actually, though, I prefer the H-H setup anyway, so that's a bonus in my eyes. The only thing I have to choose is the color. They have two colors available - blackberry, the same color as mine, and transparent gray burst. The only decision I have to make is what color to get. If they only have one left in stock, well, that decision is made, but if not, whatever one looks best in person is the one that comes home with me.

They're both nice colors, though, so I'd be happy with either one. Don't take my word for it - see for yourself:



So you see, either way I win. I'll let you know if it works out. I hope it does, because I really want another Ibanez. They've become my favorite guitars. If I were a professional, I'd try to get an Ibanez endorsement contract. Really. I like them that much.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You need a t-shirt that says B.C. Rich... or Ibanez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a BC Rich kind of guy. For me, it's Fender and Ibanez.

    ReplyDelete