Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weekly update - what's on the way

I've been a bad, bad blogger. I haven't written anything of true substance for a while. I think I just put so much time and effort into the review of Shorty (DGW Contender) that I needed a breather. I also really enjoyed making the demo video. I plan on doing a lot more of them in the future.

Which brings me to the meat of this post - what's coming up. Well, like I said above, there are plenty of videos on the horizon, including an in-depth demo of Triumph, my Ibanez RG4EXQM1 that I purchased recently. I'm also going to do similar demos of all my guitars, with the hopes of getting on the press demo list for some manufacturers. I'm also going to do some play-along videos where I play along to some of the songs I'm learning. I'm doing this both for myself, as I can use the videos to critique my playing and see where I need improvement, and also for the public as I'll be using all my guitars and gear so I can have more tone samples. YouTube was indispensable to me when I was shopping for a guitar, and the more demos I can do for people the more information they'll have when they go to buy a guitar.

I was also contacted by a new progressive metal band who wanted me to review their new EP. I've downloaded it and I will be writing that review shortly. Also, I'm going to introduce a new series of posts that I'm going to call Retro Reviews. I, like most people, have discovered a lot of my favorite music long after it was released. My plan is to write reviews of older albums, but from a modern perspective. Anyone can Google an album and get a review from when it was released, but my reviews will be from the perspective of someone discovering something old. I think this will give a different take on these older albums, as I've already heard the music that was influenced by them, plus I will see if they stood the test of time, as it were. These reviews are going to be more informal than my regular album reviews. For those, I try to follow the rules of journalism and make them as impersonal as possible. But for the Retro Reviews, I'm going to use the first person and try to inject more humor and anecdotes into them.

There's a lot to look forward to, so check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment